Tuesday, March 23 11:30 EST, 17:30 CET
“Current Revolution – Nation in Transition”
Presented by Roger Sorkin
For our second Business and Energy talk of 2021, we welcome back Roger Sorkin, who shared his thoughts on the power of narrative last year. Roger is the Founder and Executive Director of The American Resilience Project (ARP), a nonprofit organization using mission-driven film to build a more resilient society.
On March 23, Roger will screen his recently released film, “Nation in Transition”, produced in collaboration with the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory at Arizona State University. “Nation in Transition” examines the multiple aspects of energy as they impact the Navajo Nation in Arizona. The transition from the coal-fired Navajo Generating Station to renewable energy is creating new challenges for the Nation. And the transition also lays bare long-standing issues of economics and equity – issues that the current stakeholders are endeavoring to address.
Sorkin has an extensive background in film production, writing, editing, and directing. Prior to founding ARP in 2017, Roger consulted with and created documentary and dramatic films for a wide range of nonprofit, academic and government institutions, including USAID and NATO. He currently serves on the Climate and Security Working Group at the Center for Climate and Security, on the Managed Retreat Expert Group with the American Society of Adaptation Professionals, and as a fellow with the Truman National Security Project. Sorkin has a BA in Anthropology from the Johns Hopkins University, and a Master of Communications from Stanford University.
The film itself runs for 30 minutes. Please note that in 2021, Forum2100 discussions have been extended to 45 minutes, to allow more time for audience comments and questions. We hope you will join us.
TALKS FROM 2018
- AirMiners.org – how to create a world with negative CO2 emissions
- SOFT CAR – a novel Swiss model of vehicle architecture and design
- Racepoint Energy – promoting wide-spread adoption of smart micro grids
- Blockchain in Energy – the Energy Web Foundation platform and use cases
- Cryptocurrency in Renewable Energy – Solar Coin
- Purify Fuel – Making diesel fuel cleaner and more efficient
TALKS FROM 2019
- SAF-USA.com: a solar activated building cladding system
- Ammonia as a Low Carbon Fuel – for the power and transportation sectors
- Nuclear Energy: A Key Weapon in the Battle to Limit Climate Change
- The Role of Energy in Sustainable Development for Developing Countries
- Climate Legislation in the Obama Presidency: The Untold Story of People, Politics, and Policy
- An Introduction to Military Operational Energy – challenges, risks, and innovations
TALKS FROM 2020
- How Solar Energy Became Cheap: A Model for Low Carbon Innovation
- searCH4power – Mining bitcoin using natural gas that is being flared
- Climate Change Academy of Risk and Opportunity, or Climate CARO – building competencies to support business innovation
- Putinomics: Russia’s Energy Strategy amid Low Oil Prices – and the potential challenges that lie ahead
- The State of the Equity and Commodity Markets from Mid-Feb 2020 – “The Message from the Markets”
- “The Power of Narrative: Humanity’s Greatest Asset for Strengthening Civilizational Security”
TALKS FOR 2021
- The implications of 2020 for the international oil and companies