Monday, April 19, 2021 16:00 EST, 22:00 CET
FXB USA – “Energy, Climate Change, & Youth-led Action”
Introduction by Karina Weinstein
Managing through the energy transition is not just about new technologies, government policies, and business investments. Individuals and communities across the globe also have an important role to play. For our third Business and Energy talk of 2021, we will have an opportunity to hear from “the next generation.”
FXB is a global organization with over 30 years of experience in lifting vulnerable communities out of poverty. FXB is currently implementing programs in 13 countries: Burundi, France, Gaza, India, Mongolia, Myanmar, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, South Africa, Switzerland, Uganda and the United States. For the past 30 years, the FXBVillage Model has lifted 10 people a day out of poverty and over 200 FXBVillage Model community development programs have been implemented, allowing nearly 100,000 people to escape extreme poverty. Since its inception in 1989, FXB has served 18 countries, resulting in 18 million adults and children benefitting from FXB’s presence in their communities.
FXB USA is a member of the FXB International family and works closely with our global team in Europe, Africa, and Asia. Building off FXB’s 30-year trajectory of making lasting impact on the lives of children and families impacted by HIV/AIDS and poverty, FXB USA identified climate change as a strategic priority.
The FXB Climate Advocates program is our response to what we see as the global child rights issue of the 21st century – the climate crisis. FXB Climate Advocates informs, empowers, and mobilizes youth to act on the climate emergency by facilitating access to knowledge, resources, and networks. This program is designed to equip youth climate activists with the tools to mobilize climate action on a local, national, and international level. FXB Climate Advocates are reducing electricity usage in schools, starting municipal composting initiatives, leveraging Artificial Intelligence for climate advocacy, and replacing Styrofoam with sustainable reusable plastics in large school districts, among other climate advocacy initiatives. Learn more here: www.fxbclimateadvocates.org
Karina Weinstein, the Program Strategy and Innovation Director for FXB USA, will lead a panel of three participants in the FXB Climates Advocates program. Karina has nearly two decades of experience in the social impact sector, specifically with program development and institutional capacity building.
In this panel, the students will reflect on the connection between fossil fuels and climate change, specifically on how the climate crisis impacts the lives of young people. They will also highlight how young people are taking action in their communities, and showcase energy-focused initiatives.
Please note that in 2021, Forum2100 discussions have been extended to 45 minutes, to allow more time for audience comments and questions. We hope you will join us.
To register for the FXB discussion on April 19, either click here or use the link below.
TALKS FROM 2018
- AirMiners.org – how to create a world with negative CO2 emissions
- SOFT CAR – a novel Swiss model of vehicle architecture and design
- Racepoint Energy – promoting wide-spread adoption of smart micro grids
- Blockchain in Energy – the Energy Web Foundation platform and use cases
- Cryptocurrency in Renewable Energy – Solar Coin
- Purify Fuel – Making diesel fuel cleaner and more efficient
TALKS FROM 2019
- SAF-USA.com: a solar activated building cladding system
- Ammonia as a Low Carbon Fuel – for the power and transportation sectors
- Nuclear Energy: A Key Weapon in the Battle to Limit Climate Change
- The Role of Energy in Sustainable Development for Developing Countries
- Climate Legislation in the Obama Presidency: The Untold Story of People, Politics, and Policy
- An Introduction to Military Operational Energy – challenges, risks, and innovations
TALKS FROM 2020
- How Solar Energy Became Cheap: A Model for Low Carbon Innovation
- searCH4power – Mining bitcoin using natural gas that is being flared
- Climate Change Academy of Risk and Opportunity, or Climate CARO – building competencies to support business innovation
- Putinomics: Russia’s Energy Strategy amid Low Oil Prices – and the potential challenges that lie ahead
- The State of the Equity and Commodity Markets from Mid-Feb 2020 – “The Message from the Markets”
- “The Power of Narrative: Humanity’s Greatest Asset for Strengthening Civilizational Security”
TALKS FOR 2021
- The implications of 2020 for the international oil and companies
- “Current Revolution – Nation in Transition” – A film about the energy transition’s impact on the Navajo Nation